I admit to being a lover of all things Fall and Halloween - and, furthermore, I admit to being a serial seasonal-rewatcher.
There are certains shows and books that I feel drawn back to at different times of the year, and when I accidentally slip on revisiting them, I get a little annoyed with myself for making me wait another year to find that seasonal niche where the revisit feels best.
So, when October and November roll around, here are a few of the things I try my best to make time to enjoy:
Over the Garden Wall
- This, in my mind, can be enjoyed across the Fall Months, which gives me a little more wiggle room - though I generally aim for an October rewatch. The catch is that this is (what I consider) a Social Event rewatch and I hold off until I can do a viewing with my friends. (We generally do a potluck and movie night, since the series runs about the length of a movie.) Even when I moved for grad school, I was compelled to bring others into the fold. I introduced many a friend to this series (and a bunch of them have continued the tradition with other friends - which makes me so happy!)
The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell
- I watched this years ago and it scratched this oddly specific itch in my brain that I have never been able to reach with anything else. It's a little ridiculous, but something about the combination of puppetry, food & decor, and whimsically dark plotline absolutely charmed me. I was devastated when I heard that the planned second season wouldn't be happening, but Christine continues to make interesting posts on her YouTube and Patreon, so I still get my fix. I watch this series every year before October ends. None of my friends care about this show, so I can watch it at my leisure.
- I just love this film! I adore stop motion animation & while I do love to rewatch Paranorman and Fantastic Mr. Fox intermittently in the fall, as well, Coraline is very dear to my heart and I always try to make time for it. (I still have not yet watched Wendell & Wild, but I feel like I'll enjoy it so much. Maybe I'll put that on my list this year...)
- Listen...I am a huge coward when it comes to anything with zombies, but my friend showed me this movie a few years back and I enjoyed it SO much.
- Don't laugh! Is this from 2003? Yes. Do I have a deep emotional attachment to it? YES. Yes, I do. I'm sorry! "Door is ajar...door is ajar." It's kind of hilarious & I'm a scaredy cat, so I understood the main character so deeply when I was little!!!
- Also, for anyone who enjoys baking, I make this same pumpkin bread recipe Every. Single. Year, and I have since 2012. I am LOYAL to this recipe. It makes SO much pumpkin bread (but I usually make a bunch of pumpkin muffins and maybe one loaf of bread, and I make home-made cream cheese frosting - but frankly it's also amazing warmed up with a little butter on a slice) so it's great for if you have neighbors that you'd like to share a little treat with! This is a staple among my friend group - to the point that if I haven't broken the recipe out by early October, I can guarantee that someone else will show up at my place with the ingredients in hand and big, sad puppy-dog eyes.
Anyway, I threw this together on the fly, because I realized we're almost halfway through October!
If you'd like to tell me about your favorite seasonal revisits, I'd seriously love to hear about them! I'm always so curious about what other people love enough to come back to over and over. If you feel compelled, please tell me about them at falsereverie (at) proton (dot) me!
Good luck out there,